Schedule: First Thursday of the month, 5 to 6:30 p.m., in 180 East 5th, Skyway Level Conference Room B, unless otherwise noted.
Co-Chairs: Jauston-Charles Campbell and Jonathan Reisetter
The Public Realm Committee identifies concerns, issues, and related goals on topics that relate to public spaces, including parks, transportation, public safety, and other quality-of-life / livability issues. Committee members develop recommendations on these topics by discussing questions, such as:
- What is the problem we are trying to address?
- What are potential solutions or ways to address the problem?
- What stands in our way?
- Who could help us learn about this?
- Who else is interested in this issue (specific people or other organizations)?
- What are the major tasks that are needed to develop recommendations and would take substantial time to complete?
Recent Committee Updates
April 4, 2019: The committee made two motions (please read the April 4, 2019 meeting notes for more info):
- Motion to recommend that CRC designate board member liaisons to regularly attend City meetings and to formalize communication with BOMA, the Downtown Alliance, and Council Member Noecker. The motion was tabled by the CRC board for further discussion. Please see the recommended changes to the CRC bylaws that could facilitate these formal partnerships.
- Motion to request that the City adopt PROWAG standards for the downtown street and sidewalk improvements. CRC Executive Director contacted City staff in Public Works and was told that the City does try to follow these standards as much as possible. The CRC board also voted in support of this motion.
March 7, 2019: The committee discussed goals and priorities for the following year, and the group selected the following top priorities:
1. Parks, green space, green things (planters, other ways of adding plants instead of concrete) and public art
2. Public safety, issues related to security cameras, and other police / public safety issues
3. Large-scale projects such as the proposed River Balcony