The City Council is considering changing city ordinances related to
- skyway system hours,
- requirements for buildings regarding security, and
- code of conduct for people in the skyway system.
How would the following changes affect you? Please let the City Council know by emailing Contact-Council@ci.stpaul.mn.us
Proposed Skyway Ordinance Amendments:
- Amendments seek to clarify two City of Saint Paul ordinances concerning the skyways.
- One ordinance will clarify the skyway code of conduct.
- One ordinance will clarify the security responsibilities of building owners.
Skyway Code of Conduct
- The police will no longer be required to issue a warning prior to taking enforcement action for violations of the Code of Conduct.
- Additional language will clarify prohibited conduct, including prohibitions on
o Urinating or defecating
o Laying on floors, stairs or fixtures.
o Propping open or damaging locks or security systems
o Playing devices or instruments above the level of conversations speech, unless permitted by DSI
Shared Responsibility for Skyway Security
- Skyway closing hours will be changed from 2am to 12am
- Building owners will be required to lock all skyway orders during non-operating skyway hours, unless physical monitored
- “Security personnel” means individuals employed who are appropriately trained to conduct the security activities of observe and report as well as advise users of the skyway of the pertinent laws and rules.
- Skyway building owners shall provide video surveillance or security personnel for the portions of the pedestrian skyway system contained in his or her building
- Video surveillance shall be monitored by security personnel during all skyway operating hours
- Placement of cameras shall be reviewed for compliance with city standards by SPPD.
- Security personnel shall also be responsible for basic security functions of observe and report as well as advise skyway users, in the skyway and immediately adjacent private space, of the skyway and building rules.
- Patrolling security personnel used for observation or surveillance shall patrol during all hours of skyway operation and the frequency of patrol shall be:
o Physical observation of all spaces of the skyway minimally:
– Once per hour, OR
– As approved by the Saint Paul Police Department
Read the following summary of the proposed changes compared to current: Skyway_security_amendments_comparison_6-6-17